Friday, April 10, 2009

Healthy Recipe Friday - Grilled Vegetable Sandwich

I am so excited that spring is here and I am able to plant my herbs and veggies. And with that I get excited that I will be able to have fresh grilled veggie sandwiches.

These can be done in any number of ways and with most any vegetable that you enjoy. But I love the Zucchini and Eggplant combination.


MARINADE
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups olive oil
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Vegetables:
1 large zucchini, sliced 3/4 inch thick on diagonal
1 medium Japanese eggplant, sliced 3/4 inch thick on diagonal (can use reg. egg plant)
1 medium yellow squash, sliced 3/4 inch thick on diagonal


Toppings:
Crusty Whole Wheat Loaf Bread
Baby Spinach
1 large red onion, sliced thin
1 tomato, thinly sliced Or you can use Sun Dried Tomatoes chopped
Thin sliced mushrooms (if desired)
Chopped Olives
Cheese such as Goat Cheese or I like to sprinkle on some feta for the saltiness of it.

Combine all ingredients for marinade and pour over sliced vegetables, marinate for 30 minutes. Cook on a hot grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.

Take remainder of marinade and brush both halves of your bread and take one clove of garlic and rub on bread. Grill/broil until just toasted. You can also use a little mayo mixed with minced garlic and herbs to spread on bread. And you can also spread goat cheese on your bread.

Take your grilled veggies and place on bottom of bread and then put desired toppings on. Sprinkle with little salt and fresh ground pepper to taste and place top on bread.

Now just set back, eat and Enjoy!

Patty Dooley

1 comment:

  1. Patty!! This looks so yummy good with all my favs!! Hubby loves eggplant, [and even zucchini] so I'm going to try it! I'm on a low sodium and cholesterol diet, so I will have skip the feta, though I love it. :( Thanks for the great post!
    :)

    ReplyDelete