Friday, March 20, 2009

Healthy Recipe Friday - Leek and Potato Soup

I love soups and couldn't pass this one up seeing I made some early this week. But I love Leek and Potato soup and I wanted so share my recipe with you.
Hope you enjoy,
Patty

Leek and Potato Soup
Ingredients: -
1-1/2 to 2 lb. potatoes - peeled and diced - One rule of thumb, use 1 good sized potato per person.
2 - leeks - bottom portion only, sliced in half and washed, then finely chopped
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper - I use the jar peppers
1/8 cup finley chopped fresh parsley
1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
Low sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk - or you can use heavy cream if you like
olive oil

Directions:
In a heavy dutch oven, use about 3 TBL olive oil - to this add the leeks and garlic and cook until they begin to soften.

Once they have started to soften, I add my diced potatoes and enough chicken stock just to cover. Let simmer until potatoes begin to get tender. this may take about 20 min.

Then I add my salt and pepper.

Once the potatoes are just tender, You can use a potato masher or stick blender and begin to mash the potatoes. I like more chunks in my soup, but you can make them as creamy or
lumpy as you like.

Once I have it mashed, I thin my soup down just a bit with the milk. I like a thicker soup, but you can use as much of the milk as you desire until it's the consistancy that you prefer.

I then put back on a low heat to warm it just a bit after adding the milk and then I add my chopped parsley,cilantro and roasted bell pepper. Then I check my seasonings and add more salt and pepper if needed. And I just let it heat through.

Added Note: - I have at times added a little of mild ground sausage to my soup. I use about 1/2 pkg and brown it. When my soup is simmering , I then add it in. But I do not brown my meat with the leeks because I drain any grease from the sausage first.

No comments:

Post a Comment