Friday, February 27, 2009

Healthy Recipe Friday - Sautéed Vegetables

Well,
I wanted to start something new here on my blog. Since I love trying to do all that I can to keep my family healthy and happy, I wanted to expand on my blog a bit more.
So, keeping in with a healthy lifestyle I wanted to start Healthy Recipe Friday.

So, starting today, I will begin offering healthy recipes. I would love for you to begin trying the recipes I post and then giving your feedback. Many of the recipes I post will be ones that I cook here or others that I have found on the net and just love.

So with all this said, on to our first Healthy Recipe!

This one I love to fix here at our home

Sautéed Vegetables
(note: I do not use exact amounts because I cook based on how many people are here. But this is a basic that will feed at least 4)

2 – yellow squash
2- zucchini
1 to 2 cups of chopped eggplant (just depends on how well you like this)
1 cup of onion – cut in half, the cut into thin slices
½ cup chopped mushrooms – diced
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for cooking

Directions:
1-Take your squash and zucchini and use a stand up grater. Take and grate your squash and zucchini with the large holes. This will give you a stringy vegetable.
2- In a hot pan with a few tablespoons of good pure olive oil, begin to sauté your sliced onions and garlic, once those have wilted down just a bit, add the egg plant and continue to sauté for 3 to 5 min. Add your squash and zucchini and sauté for about 3 min. Add your canned chopped tomatoes and let this heat through. Salt and pepper to taste. And here you can add fresh herbs that you like to spice it up.
3- you want your veggies to be on the soft side, but not so soft that they are mushy.
4 – You can server this as a side dish, or use as topping for your whole grain (wheat) spaghetti noodles, or top on baked fish.

For me, I love to take this with some whole grain spaghetti, add a little pesto and top with my veggies.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you try it, come back and let us know how you liked it.

Until next time,
Blessings,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment